Varicose veins are very common in India, with over ten million cases of the disease every year. Over 30 per cent of the adults are estimated to suffer from this disease (according to The Times of India). It basically refers to veins that become swollen or enlarged. This happens when the blood circulation of the veins is affected. In a normal and healthy person, there are valves that stop the blood from getting stagnant or flowing backwards. But when one contracts varicose veins, the valves are damaged and become weak, so that they can no longer restrict the blood from stagnating or flowing backward. The symptoms of the disease, as mentioned above, include swelling and enlargement of the veins. Please go to The Times of India page to read the full article.
Varicose veins is a pre-existing condition and if you have this, you need to purchase Visitor Health Insurance with pre-existing condition coverage. Go to this page to learn more about travel insurance cover for pre-existing conditions before your trip.
There are many patients who may also experience aching and pain in the legs, twisted veins that may also become a cosmetic concern and the veins appearing blue and dark purple.
These gnarled veins can develop in any part of the body but they mostly develop in the legs and feet. This happens because of long hours of standing and walking as it puts the legs under pressure, weakening the veins in the process. There are many factors that increase the risk of varicose veins for a person. These include factors such as a person’s gender (females are more likely to contract varicose veins due to their hormonal differences), genetics (varicose veins may run in families), being overweight or obese (as this puts more pressure on the veins, increasing the risk factor), age (people are more likely to contract varicose veins when they get older as this causes general wear and tear of veins) and certain jobs that involve long hours of standing.The best way to prevent varicose veins is by making certain lifestyle changes that help you lessen the pressure that you put on your veins. These include avoiding standing for long hours, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly.
Varicose Veins Causes
The condition is caused when the valves and veins in your legs are weakened or disrupted. This leads to an improper functioning of the valves which in turn can lead to collection of blood in the legs. The causes for this may include:
1. Age: As one ages, the valves in their veins may weaken.
2. Family history: If any of your family members has been diagnosed with varicose veins, you are more likely to get it.
3. Obesity: Excess weight puts extra pressure on veins and can damage them, which can develop Varicose Veins.
4. Lack of movement: Either standing or sitting for a very long duration of time can make your veins work harder to pump blood to your heart and can weaken them in the process.
5. Pregnancy: Pregnancy causes an increase of blood pressure in the body, which may cause the veins to enlarge. The growing uterus also puts pressure on the veins. But this condition of Varicose Veins is mostly temporary and improves in about three months after delivery.
Varicose Veins Symptoms
Varicose Veins may or may not cause pain. The primary symptom of the condition is an appearance of blue and purple coloured twisted and bulging veins just beneath the surface of the skin. Other symptoms may include the following:
1.Itching over one or more of the affected veins
2. Discolouring of the skin
3. Darkening of the affected area
4. Thinning and drying of the skin
However, in case of painful signs and symptoms, it may cause:
1. An achy or heavy feeling in your legs
2. Burning, throbbing, muscle cramping and swelling in your lower legs
3. Worsened pain after prolonged sitting or standing
4. Bleeding from varicose veins
5. A painful cord in the vein with red discoloration of the skin
6. Colour changes, hardening of the vein, inflammation of the skin or skin ulcers near your ankle. This could also mean that you have a serious form of vascular disease that requires medical attention.
Varicose Veins Prevention
1. Place your feet on two or three pillows while resting. When you lie down with your legs at a higher position, your body ensures that blood does not collect in the veins, thus preventing Varicose Veins.
2. Keep your weight in check.
3. Wear loose, comfortable clothing as wearing tight clothes may restrict blood flow towards the heart and this will only worsen the condition of Varicose Veins.
4. Avoid standing for long periods of time.
5. Massage the legs as it not only provides relief but also has curative potential. While massaging, the movement should be towards the heart.
6. You should not scratch varicose veins as it may cause ulcers.
Please go here to learn more.
What visitors traveling to USA, Canada, and Mexico should consider:
Most people have different pre-existing conditions that they might not be aware of when traveling. Due to these statistics, it is important for visitors to get visitor health insurance with pre-existing coverage in order to stay safe while visiting USA. India Network Health Insurance provides reliable insurance coverage for visiting parents, temporary workers, international students, and more. The Plans are underwritten by CHUBB American Insurance Company and AXIS American Insurance Company.
Recommended Visitor Health Insurance Plans:
CHUBB Network Plan: This is a comprehensive plan that treats both new and pre-existing illnesses the same. ACE Network plan covers for 80 percent of medical expense, and the insured is responsible for the remaining 20 percent up to policy maximum. This is a great plan for older people (50+ years), and people with pre-existing conditions. ACE Network plan uses a very broad definition of pre-existing conditions– pre-existing conditions are covered in the same way like new problems and accidents except they are subject to different deductible and different policy max.
CHUBB Premier Plan is another option for people who are looking for pre-existing coverage and willing to take some risk. This is a fixed benefit plan and is more affordable to fit different budgets. This plan uses a very broad definition like network plan and pays for both pre-existing conditions and new problems using schedule of benefits (Fixed benefits).
Axis Plan is another plan that provides pre-existing coverage. This is a fixed benefit with very limited coverage of up to $1000 for pre-existing conditions based on a very restrictive definition .. acute onset, a common definition used by industry in travel insurance market. Not recommended for any one with serious pre-ex conditions.
India Network Services is a US-based company that administers visitor health insurance to tourists, students, temporary workers and their families. Visitor medical plans are offered for all age groups (0-99 years old) with both fixed coverage, comprehensive coverage and with pre-existing condition coverage.
For more information about Pre-existing Condition Visitor Travel Insurance please visit our website.